Thursday, August 23, 2007

SMI Primary School - What The Old Boys Recall


The lorries, the cranes and the bulldozers should be, by now, prepared to get the work done. It will not be long when the SMI primary school buildings are torn down. Old boys (irrespective whether they are from Primary One or Two) have responded. Below are what they have written to express their feelings.

Henry Yew Guo Zheng said:
I also remember the days when I spent my primary school days in SK St. Michael 2 (Year Six 2000).There were indeed bitter sweet memories from primary school. Among my sweetest memories there was the intimacy between the teachers and I. I do treasure them very much and till now I still keep in contact with at least one of them. The saddest memory I have was when my music teacher back then (also my teacher-in-charge of the choir team) passed away very young due to breast cancer. A year before that, circa 1996, a good friend of mine passed away due to gastro-intestinal complications.I must say that in those days while I was still in the primary school, life was so easy. All you had to do was just be obedient and pay attention to the teachers, and you will definitely be their favourite student. It was so easy to appease primary school teachers, actually. Perhaps we were very young, small and naive, so they would treat us differently from how secondary school teachers would treat their student.Although I am sad that the old building will have to be demolished, I am glad that it will be demolished for the greater good of the school community. It is indeed time to let go of something dear to prepare a path for a better future.
---------------------------------------------------
M3lV said:
Hi Mr.Khiew! Good thing that you setup this blog, as could see the updates about SMI!!It's been some time that I've not been in the school, missing those moment that I had with my classmates as well as with all the teachers. I only came to know that the primary school block will be demolished after an update from my friend. It was then I spent my childhood time in SK St. Michael 2 (Year Six 2000). I still remember those fun moments with my schoolmates. Haha.. Hope I could make it on time before the primary block being demolished for some photo shoot in the old building =) Keep it up SMI!! Michaelians who are still studying now, make yourselves a part of SMI history! Be proud of your school!! Regards,Melvin Phun (Form 5 2005)
------------------------------------------------
Raymond said:
Hi!! :) Thanks Mr. Khiew for setting up this blog... after I have learnt that the primary school building will be demolished, my heart really sank... it was there where I was educated to be a true Michaelian... memories of great teachers like Mr. V. Nathan, En. Zabaruddin , Mr. Ram
Singh Molik, Ms Shanti and many more will be deeply remembered and missed by me. I have cherished a lot of memories in every classroom that I have studied in..... memories of my primary school friends, primary teachers, the big trees, the dental room... it's a lot... lastly I hope the school will keep the round tyre which has our Michaelian emblem drawn on it.... QUIS UT DEUS.. INDIVISA MANENT...
------------------------------------------------
Wong Kin Tung said:
It's a good suggestion to maintain the round tyre.The round tyre brings a lot of memories to every Michaelian who had studied there.The building may be demolished, but at least let the tyre to be there. Let it be a symbol or a mark of the 1959 primary school building. As it's a part of the originalities and historical items, it should be preserved. Let's have the initiative to keep it and repainted it well. Have a nice day.Wong Kin Tung, Member of St.Michael's Institution Alumni Association Klang Valley
-------------------------------------------------
AOCY said:
I can be considered a true Michaelian because I had been in that block since standard 1 (1996). Call me cruel but I think the building should be demolished. However, looking back at my history...I feel that I had lots of memories that I left behind during my primary days. I believe that other Michaelians from SMI (1) and (2) would think so. To tear the building down is like tearing away all your memories. I feel sad but still life has to go on. Only the pictures can revive such memories as pictures paint a thousand words. But I'm still glad they are still preserving the trees. Oh, I loved those trees. I used to play 'aci duduk' under those shady trees. They provided us shade and memories that I truly treasure a lot. It's been already 12 years (including this year) since I came in and out of the school compound...if you ask me, I'm never bored of stepping into my alma mater...rain or shine, I will walk through...Coz everyday is an exciting day. I have one resolution now - grab a camera & a few friends. Primary school, here I come!!!
--------------------------------------------------------
NW said:
Tearing down the primary block will be like erasing my childhood memories.I was a student in St. Michael 2 and finished my Standard 6 studies in 1991. My only hope is that the names of the top achievers for the UPSR examinations which are displayed outside the primary school office be preserved and moved to the new primary block. Having my name displayed there is one of my proudest moment, apart from being a Michaelian , of course!
---------------------------------------------------------
Mr Joseph Michael Lee, PTA chairman said:
Peter, please ensure that the boards within the Primary school where the names of Head Prefects and other luminaries of the school are remembered are dismounted and remounted in the new school. It will be a shame if these are lost in the destruction of the old school. I hope that the school will value the invaluable. Thank you.
----------------------------------------------------------
Justin Ong said:
Dear Mr Khiew, Good day. As one of the past students of SRK St. Michael 2, I would like to share some thoughts on the demolition of the primary block.It is with great sadness to see the primary school that I've been studying during 1993 to 1998 being demolished. There are so many memories that I will not forget till now. One of them is the area where the assemblies are held every Monday. That's the place where we play catching, running around, get punished and lots more. It's the place where we meet new friends during primary school. The trees provided nice shade for us during sunny days. Next is the big wheel with the logo painted. I hope it stays where it is for the future generation. Amidst all the sadness, there's joy in seeing that there's a new primary block which is more modern and safer for future Michaelians. May I suggest that all the trees which are very old stay where there are. It not only provides shade to students and teachers, but it reminds us of the heritage of Michaelians past and the future. Regards,Justin Ong B.S.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Lim said:
Mr. Khiew, the boards in front of the SMI(2)'s office which contains names of 5A achivers for the UPSR exams, please retain those too. A spot somewhere in the Bro. U. Paul Memorium will be nice.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Note: The rare picture above was taken in 1962 of a group of 110 teachers from the Secondary, Primary One and Two to commemorate the golden anniversary celebrations of St Michael's (1912-1962). Thank you Mr Bobby Chew for the snapshot. Mr Bobby Chew, who considers his years in St Michael's as joyous and meaningful, started teaching in SMI primary One in 1962. During his tenure there, he had marvellously contributed in his own special way to make the school a place many would call home. Retired in 1996, Mr Bobby Chew continues to assist SMI, earning admiration and salute from those who know him. More pictures and story on this outstanding personality soon.

4 comments:

michael said...

Peter, please ensure that the boards within the Primary school where the names of Head Prefects and other luminaries of the school are remembered are dismounted and remounted in the new school. It will be a shame if these are lost in the destruction of the old school. I hope that the school will value the invaluable. Thank you. Joseph Michael Lee

Andrew Lim said...

Mr. Khiew, the boards in front of the SMI(2)'s office which contains names of 5A achivers for the UPSR exams, please retain those too. A spot somewhere in the Bro. U. Paul Memorium will be nice.

Peter Khiew said...

Thank you, Andrew. It was a pleasant surprise for you to drop by at the school today. The very fact that St Michael's attains its current status as premier school is mainly the strong support from the old boys. Keep it up.

Alex said...

I hope the school will keep the round tyre which has our Michaelian emblem drawn on it. The round tyre brings a lot of memories to me and to every Michaelian who had studied there.The building may be demolished,and its sight is gone but its building will remain in our heart not mind because mind forgets after awhile but the heart treasures it forever, so i hope at least let the tyre to be there. Let it be a symbol or a mark of the 1959 primary school building. As it's a part of the originalities and historical items, it should be preserved. Let's have the initiative to keep it and repainted it well. Please.......
QUIS UT DEUS