Tuesday, August 14, 2007

THE SILVER SPOON


It was such a solemn and dignified occasion. An occasion worth waiting for every year. Michaelians who received the spoons were obviously proud but somehow humbled, having been in the institution for 14 years. The formative years of wise and reflective tutelage of teachers and the La Salle brothers were their greatest treasures.

Leaving with a heavy heart, they brought home an item they earned- a silver spoon as a symbol of great loyalty and a successful completion of a long, tedious but fruitful journey.

Unfortunately, this rich and meaningful tradition of awarding "Silver Spoons" to those who studied in St Michael's from kindergarten to Upper Six had discontinued. Why? Who stopped it? Was it found to be not viable? I believe those who had received the spoons after years in St Michael's still treasure the moments until today. Perhaps, they themselves are perplexed.

Note: Our evergreen and still-vibrant Master Timothy Chee was one of the recipients in 1960.

To enlighten me further on the subject, I rang up Brother Vincent this afternoon. Below is his reply...

Dear Peter,

The tradition of the silver spoon goes back to the early 1960's when Brother U Paul was director. At the annual farewell for upper sixth formers those who had been with the school from kindergarten to sixth form received a silver spoon. It was highly prized by the recipients, as they were usually a small group, rarely more than 20.

I support the suggestion that we revive this tradition, adapting it to our present realities. We could consider those who were Michaelians from standard one to form five. This would have more meaning today and for more students.

Continued appreciation for your wonderful blog.

Brother Vincent
_____________________________________

A Note From Master Timothy Chee


As a former recipient of the silver spoon, I am honored that the school remembered me for my loyalty as a student in past years. I believe that this tradition should be revived, amongst many other rich customs and traditions of SMI.

On the same topic, I would like to suggest expanding the criteria to former pupils who have started from Standard One to Form Five. This is because we no longer have a kindergarten and many students don't go beyond Form Five.

On the same note, I wish that the school could revive the Heritage Gallery. We were the only school in the country that had the resources and the passion to document, inform and visualize our rich history into a gallery for posterity. It is indeed a waste and a heart-wrenching moment for me when the gallery fell into disrepair and subsequently dismantled.

Thanks a lot Peter and may I take this opportunity to wish the school success in the upcoming school play.

4 comments:

Timothy Chee said...

As a former receipient of the silver spoon, i am honored that the school remembered me for my loyalty as a student in past years. I believe that this tradition should be revived, amongst many other rich customs and traditions of SMI.

On the same topic, I would like to suggest expanding the criteria to former pupils who have started from Standard One to Form Five. This is because we no longer have a kindergarten and many students don't go beyond Form Five.

On the same note, I wish that the school could revive the Heritage Gallery. We were the only school in the country that had the resources and the passion to document, inform and visualize our rich history into a gallery for posterity. It is indeed a waste and a heart-wrenching moment for me when the gallery fell into disrepair and subsequently dismantled.

Thanks a lot Peter and may I take this opportunity to wish the school success in the upcoming school play.

Alex said...

I strongly support Mr. Timothy Chee's suggestion that the silver spoon tradition be revived again. I'm currently a student of St. Michael's Institution and I love my school with all my heart, all my soul & all my life. I hope this tradition will make it's way back again and I do hope that if there an other tradition which have been forgotten please revived it again.
QUIS UT DEUS

palohchai 'n' littlecicak said...

I would like to know what is the meaning behind the silver spoon? Why not other things instead of spoon. Actually I didn't realise it was a tradition as I also received a spoon during my 6 Form night back in year 2000. If it's a tradition and initiated by late rev Bro Paul, I think we should continue. In addition, perhaps an explaination on the silver spoon would be good too.

Wong Weng Yew
USS3 2001

Aaron Chan Chee Kin said...

Hello, I was a recepient of the silver spoon when I graduated in 2002 and also my brother who graduated in 2007. I thought it was such an interesting gift to give those who have made SMI their home for 13/14 years. I still keep my spoon in the cupboard next to my brothers. I think it serves a reminder for us, the lessons we've learnt in school.......