Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Michaelian is 60 years old this year

The magazine of St Michael's, "The Michaelian" is 60 years old this year. The first magazine was published in 1948 during the directorship of Brother Patrick O' Donovan (Director June 1938-March 1948).
Brother stands out in Michaelian history as an educationist par excellence who succeeded in putting St Michael's in the top rank of schools. He introduced science teaching and was responsible for increased interest and efficiency in the classroom and extra-curricular activities.
Among the many significant seeds sown during the Patrician era were the setting up of Chinese language classes, the Literary and Debating Society, the Thrift Society, the School Broadcasting Society and the Michaelian magazine.
He was also responsible for the establishment of the De La Salle School in Kampar.
After a period of six decades, "The Michaelian" is still going strong and continues its quest to document the historical, significant and memorable events dear to all.

4 comments:

Syamsyul Fadzli said...

Wow.. I remember the 1985 edition.. its RM5 then if i'm not mistaken.. its included La Sallian @ Canning Garden and I'm in Year One.. :)

palohchai 'n' littlecicak said...

Mr Khiew,

I wonder if u know of a michaelian magazine called 'Our Story', published in 1990 i think in conjunction with the 80th anniversary of SMI? I used to have that book. However, someone borrowed it and never returned. I've lost it now. That books tells stories of SMI, the history and heritage. I wonder if you have a copy of that book? Is SMI planning to reprint that book? Do you know of any way I could buy the book? I don't mind if it's a photostated copy (if you are not particular with copyright, haha)

Wong Weng Yew
USS3 2001

Peter Khiew said...

Palohchai & Littlecicak,
St Michael's plans to re-look into the book, My Story, and seriously considers expanding its factual content. We have set up a main committee for SMI's centennial celebrations and one of the projects we are going to discuss is coming up with pubications. We will keep all Michaelians posted on this.

palohchai 'n' littlecicak said...

Mr Khiew,

That's a great idea. I'd definitely buy that book. Do let us know when it's out. I've been trying to compile whatever I could come across on SMI history and heritage

Wong Weng Yew
USS3 2001