|Brother Vincent Corkery laying a wreath in memory of planter Mr George Huntsman, Buluh Akar Estate, Parit, Perak. (The Strait Times, Singapore, January 2, 1947)|
The Anglican Community in Batu Gajah was founded in 1885. When a church building was proposed, Sultan Idris granted to the Bishop of Singapore, a land rent-free for worship and for burial.
|Establishing friendship... fellowship after the ceremony|
A permanent church building, The Holy Trinity, was erected in 1895. The burial ground in the adjacent plot was to become “God’s Little Acre” – where planters, miners, police and the military who lost their lives during the Malayan Emergency from 1948 -1960, were buried.
Every year, on the Saturday before 16th June, there would be a wreath laying ceremony organized in remembrance of the killing of 3 planters ( Allison, Christian & Walter) and those who gave their lives during the Malayan Emergency.
Currently, the plot is managed by the Malaysian Palm Oil Association (MPOA Perak).The first Remembrance Ceremony for 116 fallen planters, miners, police and Commonwealth Army personnel (includes two Ibans) was a special event organized on 10th April 1980 by Dato' R. Thambipillay in conjunction with Police Week celebrations (in April each year) with the approval of the then CPO Perak Deputy Commissioner of Police Yuen Yuet Leng. He continued to organize this in 1981, 1982 and 1983 (total of 4 years) in his capacity as OCPD Batu Gajah.
|A shot for the album ...fellow planters and war heroes. Mr Adrian Tsen (right) represented his company, Riverview Rubber Estates, to lay a wreath in memory of Charles Alma Baker, a planter, competent surveyor and miner from New Zealand.|