Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A MESSAGE FROM BROTHER VISITOR BROTHER EDMUNDO FERNANDEZ


Dear Old Michaelians,

Greetings of Peace!
It is always a joy to send my message to your annual Reunion. Allow me to share my reflection on the meaning of Quis Ut Deus, your school motto.
Your Alma Mater’s motto: Quis Ut Deus in English is: “Who is like God?” This is the translated meaning of ‘Michael’, the Angelic Warrior, Guardian of Paradise. The question is as haunting as it is triumphant. “Who is like God?

Implicit in your motto is that any old boy of SMI is a man who is righteous, willing to be of service to society; someone who lives the Lasallian Core Values of Faith, Service, and Community.

A quick glance of the roster of past teachers and Old Michaelians is evidence of this.

You have excellent teachers such as Mr.N.C. Thomas (1960s) taught English and English Literature for Forms 4 and 5. Who took special care of students who did not show much academic promise.

You have Student-Athletes who took prove to us that athletics can bring out the best in us such Vincent Arokiadoss (Michaelian 1970s) who was selected to play for Malaysia U-21 in the Asian Youtj Soccer Tournamnent in Teheran (1970). Vincent was a key player for Kinta Indian Association and the Telecoms in the Ipoh League.

And how can I forget, you have with you a Brother whom I feel is the epitome of Serving God: Br. Vincent Corkery, awarded the Dato Paduka Mahkota Perak (DPMP) award in 2010.

Dear Old Michalians, if I were to list all your notable teachers, Brothers, and old boys, I would fill up all the pages of this souvenir. The three notable examples I cited above make my heart swell up with pride that we have a school in the Lasallian District that have taken to heart the question: Who is like God? You have responded to it by living exemplary lives. I sincerely wish that you continue to live up to the legacy you have received from SMI.

I offer you my warm congratulations and fraternal regards in your annual reunion.

In St. La Salle,
Br. Edmundo Fernandez FSC
Visitor

Note: Brother Edmundo is the Brother Visitor of the Lasallian East Asia District consisting of
Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Japan and Indonesia.

No comments: