Tuesday, March 22, 2016

REST IN PEACE, BROTHER


Our beloved Dato' Brother Vincent Corkery passed on at Hospital Fatimah today, 22 March 2016. May God grant him eternal rest and bless his soul.His remains will be brought to St Michael's Church and the wake will be held tonight and Wednesday. Funeral is at 10.30am on Thursday, 24th March 2016.

Remembering Brother Vincent
By Leong Yee Thye
Form 5 Arts 1 (1972)


1972
There he walked and stood along the corridors of St. Michael's Forms;
A towering young man who spoke with an accent so different from our norm.
The sight of him from a distance always demanded our attention and respect;
Much more than we usually have for our teachers, with all due respect.
"Good morning, Brother Vincent" we would wished him as he drew near;
With a nod and a smile, he would acknowledged; or with a "Good morning" at times we'd hear. 
Though he never taught us in any of his class, yet we somehow always knew;
His love and concern was for us all Michaelians, and not just for his classes of the privileged few.
O how the years flew by as I now remember Brother Vincent when I was in my teens;
And St. Michael was a place for us to grow and learn, to be valiant and true in every means. 

2015
O how frail Brother Vincent looked as he sat working at his desk some 40 odd years later;
As I dropped in to say hello on my very long delayed first visit to my beloved Alma Mater.
Still his mind and thoughts were clear and his words filled with wisdom;
As we talked about the past and present, and about earth's worldly kingdoms.
He expounded on how enemies would eventually become friends;
As the world continue to spin through time; and just as my visit was about to end.
I asked for a hug when it was time for me to leave;
Not knowing it will be my first and last as I took my leave.
I felt his love and his warmth, just as I have imagined it to be when I was young;
And now he is resting in peace after his duty is done, as one of St. Michael's son.

Good bye Brother Vincent: And though you are with us no more;
Your spirit will live on in St. Michael's corridors forevermore.
May God bless your soul.
Quis Ut Deus

3 comments:

lpn said...

St Michael's lost another great man, brother and friend. God Bless and Rest in peace.

Stuart Leong said...

Remembering Brother Vincent
1972
There he walked and stood along the corridors of St. Michael's Forms;
A towering young man who spoke with an accent so different from our norm.
The sight of him from a distance always demanded our attention and respect;
Much more than we usually have for our teachers, with all due respect.
"Good morning, Brother Vincent" we would wished him as he drew near;
With a nod and a smile, he would acknowledged; or with a "Good morning" at times we'd hear.
Though he never taught us in any of his class, yet we somehow always knew;
His love and concern was for us all Michaelians, and not just for his classes of the privileged few.
O how the years flew by as I now remember Brother Vincent when I was in my teens;
And St. Michael was a place for us to grow and learn, to be valiant and true in every means.

2015
O how frail Brother Vincent looked as he sat working at his desk some 40 odd years later;
As I dropped in to say hello on my very long delayed first visit to my beloved Alma Mater.
Still his mind and thoughts were clear and his words filled with wisdom;
As we talked about the past and present, and about earth's worldly kingdoms.
He expounded on how enemies would eventually become friends;
As the world continue to spin through time; and just as my visit was about to end.
I asked for a hug when it was time for me to leave;
Not knowing it will be my first and last as I took my leave.
I felt his love and his warmth, just as I have imagined it to be when I was young;
And now he is resting in peace after his duty is done, as one of St. Michael's son.

Good bye Brother Vincent: And though you are with us no more;
Your spirit will live on in St. Michael's corridors forevermore.
May God bless your soul.
Quis Ut Deus
Leong Yee Thye
Form 5 Arts 1 (1972)

Alb3163 said...

I was in SMI for only a year, in the 1968 USS1. I continue to appreciate the kindness that I received from everyone, including of course the ever helpful Brother Vincent. Made me feel very welcome in a completely new environment.
Rest in peace, Brother Vincent.